Sunday 11 October 2015

Kärshult. Sewing the log cabin blocks.

In my last post about this quilt I said I'd take a photo of one of the log cabin blocks with the blue strips but of course I forgot. And now they are all sewn up together in the larger blocks. No matter. You can still get the gist from this final photo:


So this is four of the log cabin blocks sewn together. Each block was 14.5 inches square, so slightly larger than they should have been. I think I was a bit sparse with my seam allowances. Live and learn. The four blocks sewn together are just short of 29 inches square.

I'll be quilting each 4-block as I go. The designs of with I'm still debating.

The plan is to have them in two rows of three. It's going to be much bigger than I thought it would be though. I've the borders to add now.

The plan with them is to have three borders: the yellow fabric, a flying geese border and a white on white fabric border. My calculations for the sizes are approximately:

Top and bottom borders
- yellow [56 inches x 3.5 inches] x 2
- flying geese [56 inches x 3.5 inches] x 2
- white on white [56 inches x 3.5 inches] x 2

Side borders
- yellow [ 93 inches x 3.5 inches] x 2
- flying geese [93 inches x 3.5 inches] x 2
- white on white [93 inches x 3.5 inches] x 2

I calculated I'd need the 1.5 x 3 inch triangles on the Fons and Porter Flying Geese ruler I bought. That will be the right width but I'm not sure how many I will need to make for the length. I'll just need to sew them up and see.

Plan is to sew the borders together so they fit the Log Cabin centre then do the quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment