Sunday 19 April 2015

Craft: Quilting: Bird Qilt: Part 4

I sewed the piano key strips to the bird panels, one strip at each side. This, as I mentioned previously, was to widen the quilt as I felt it was too long and narrow. I tried to use colours which complimented the colours in the panels.




I then added a border of the blue/grey flower fabric. Same one I used for cornerstones. It was then time to make the quilt sandwich. I struggle with this as it's tricksy getting the layers to stay flat and not bunch up. This is not a huge quilt though so managed sort of to my satisfaction. I taped the backing fabric to the table which helped though next time I will pull it tighter. I've also bought some large clips to try.



 


I ironed it again and then moved some of the pins to get the backing even more flat. I started the quilting part by 'stitching in the ditch' down and across all the panels. I like to start and fasten off by setting the stitch length to 0 then sew a few stitches in the same place. I also leave a tail of thread and, at the end, go through and put a knot in it and pull through wadding layer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment