Thursday, 25 February 2016

Ooops a Daisy! Quilt

This one started out as a quick project. I made a Disappearing Nine Patch quilt for the back of the settee and really liked how it looked. 

I wanted to make a larger quilt using the same design and already had four charm packs which I thought would be suitable. I won't say what the fabric was however as I wasn't happy with it eventually.

It all began well. I wanted to get on with it quickly (first mistake) so just started sewing up the nine patch blocks. I admit I wasn't taking my usual care as I had a rare few hours to myself and wanted to get as much sewing done as possible. So I powered through. Halfway through I realised the charm squares were not all 5 inches. So my nine patch blocks were misshapen. It was my own fault as I didn't follow my own advice to check this first and to take care every step of the way! 

So I had a decision to make. Continue on and find a solution or unpick. I'd already used up about two hours of my precious time so, rightly or wrongly, I made the decision to finish the blocks. Of course now I was aware of the issue it was painful. The positive is I will never, ever again do this. I'll listen to my own advice.

I ended up with 17 blocks each of which I further cut into four and then resewed into the Disappearing Nine Patch blocks. Of course the discrepancies in the squares became even more apparent but I had committed to carrying on so carry on I did. As a solution I cut each, uneven, block to a 12.5 inch square. Now they looked less offensive to my eyes.

Now what to do with them. What started out as a quick project had turned into something more lengthy. All my own fault of course. I had intended to just sew them all together the way I did with the red quilt. But as I looked at the blocks I decided they'd look better with wide white sashing. I cut 3 12.5 inch by 5 inch strips and sewed four blocks together.

So now I am actually quite pleased with it. The Disappearing Nine Patch blocks will float in the white colour in a four by four row formation. My current plan is to quilt the blocks with a flower/daisy pattern and have something different in the white sashes. I'm also going to quilt it in two halves as it is much too big to wrestle into my machine. So it will be a good way to test the method for a sort of quilt as you go where you do all three layers then sew the parts together. 

Disaster averted though still very much Ooops a Daisy!

No comments:

Post a Comment